Sunday, April 22, 2012

Gourmet for Ten Dollars?!



While lying in bed one weekend, I discovered an amazing TV show on the Food Network called “Ten Dollar Dinners.” This lady whips up gourmet meals that will feed a family of four for under $10, and I don’t even mean that it’s $10 each. Ten dollars to feed four people. The only idea I could ever come up with for that price is a meal consisting of ramen.

My first encounter with this show, she cooked a steak dinner. I was amazed. I was hooked. I wanted to try.

I went to the show’s website and discovered SO MANY recipes to try. One, super buttered noodles, seemed too easy and obvious. I wanted a challenge.

Black bean brownies? That actually sounded so gross to me so I had to pass that one up too.

Crispy-skinned chicken a l’orange. Bingo. Seeing as I actually had ten dollars to spend because I am ultra poor, this seemed like a great idea.


My sorority sisters and I made this for dinner one night and it was amazing. You can find the recipe here. I ended up spending a little over ten dollars, but that's just because we don't cook and didn't have any of the "kitchen essentials" such as vegetable oil (really) and honey.

Ours didn't turn out looking exactly like the picture, but it was delicious regardless. It tasted a lot like orange chicken that you can get at any Chinese restaurant, but I imagine it is a lot healthier.

There are so many recipes to choose from on the show's website.

I plan on making more of these budget-friendly recipes in the future because they're just so tasty and affordable. I'd recommend the show to any of my friends, and I to all of you.

Happy cooking!
-Beckie

2 comments:

  1. I'm actually a food network junkie, its a problem. But i've seen this show and its amazing like you said. I noticed that you said you didnt have a lot of ingredients so something that could really help you out in the future is a show called "five ingredient fix" literally everything only has five ingredients, its usually pretty cheap, and always turns out amazing. There are entrees, desserts and appetizers that are all generally simple to make. Just don't get addicted to the food network like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually almost never watch tv, but when I do, you can bet that I'm watching Paula Deen! ;)

      Delete